This would be a very short article and specific to those who are interested in PMP certification. For those who are not familiar with “PMP,” this term refers to the Project Management Professional certification, one of the Project Management Institute (PMI) certifications.
PMP Certification Facts
The following data is PMI officially published data (all data is up to the end of August 2011). This is an old post but as I update it now on 2 September 2018, we still have the same story and I will share updated images.
- The number of those holding the PMP Certification in the world is 466,163 (876,500 as of 31 July 2018).
- The number of PMP earning their certification between 1 July 2010 and 30 June 2011 (12 months’ period) is: 48,273
- The monthly average number of new PMP in the 12 months period in previous note is: 4,023
- The number of PMP in July 2011 jumped from the average of 4,023 to 13,869
- The number of PMP in August 2011 (last month) also jumped from the average of 4,023 to 14,295
- In summary, in two months we have had close to 30,000 PMP about 60% of the full year before!
Why the Change
Obviously, no one knows the exact answer. However, what we know is:
- The PMP exam changed at the end of August 2011
- Historically we know where there is an exam change the number of PMP candidates jump
- Usually, the reason for the jump is that people and professionals who have been considering or studying for the PMP and delaying the exam, they make the push before the change since a change brings uncertainty.
- The above scenario has been repeated with every exam change, including the recent one in March 2018.
Updated Information per the last exam change
The same trend repeated last summer when the exam changed due to the changes in the PMBOK from the 4th to the 5th edition!
- From April 2012 to April 2013 the monthly average was about 4000 (same as in past history)
- The last 4 months before the exam change the monthly average jumped to ~ 14000
- Just in July 2013, there were ~ 30,000 new PMP
You be the judge!
Until the next article – wish you success in all your endeavors!