Although project management is one of my passions and I have been in this domain close to 30 years; every once in a while I run into something online that make me say what the heck; how badly did PMI degrade project management.
What is see often on online groups, make titles like #PMP for #Dummies sound like an advance topic.
I have seen the ads for Mastering Project Management in 5 days. I have seen ads inviting people to memorize the ITTO (Inputs – Tools & Techniques – Outputs). I have seen the illegal copies of books online. I have also seen people posting questions online using resources that are out of date. I do not know what else is out there.
Today – I ran into 8 or 10 minute video showing people how to memorize the process groups and 47 processes. The video offers tricks and using things like DDMMCDXXX to memorize some of these things. Using another verbal trick to memorize the process groups. I have no problem using tricks to remember things; it can be a good approach for some. However, if a PMP aspirant need a trick like “… Melvyn Cries Continuously” to memorize the process groups – did blow my roof today.
Again – I am not against memorizing tricks for names or other things – but for the basics?
If project managers do not understand that:
- Before they do the project work they must have a plan (Planning) >>>> and
- Before the plan they need to have authorization (Initiating) >>>>
- If they do not know that when they are DOING work (Executing) they need
- To keep their eyes on the goal (Monitoring) and
- Adjusting when necessary (Controlling) >>>> and
- Finally when done to close the project (or phase) (Closing) >>>>>
If they have to memorize the above, then how could those people be certified #PMP?